In Memory of Our Mother Irene Loling Sarabia Lampe

Strolling along Auke Bay with Irene Loling Sarabia Lampe wearing one of her favorite hats - 2007

The following is written by our sister, Irene Jean Lampe (Photographs taken by Clarissa unless otherwise noted):

Irene Loling Sarabia Lampe was born June 25, 1925, in Port Althorp, Alaska.  She died July 4, 2011, at age 86.  Her Tlingit names were Latseenk’i Tlaa, Naax Seex Tlaa, and Xaays’ Neech.  She was Raven Takdeintaan from Kaa Shaayi Hit and Tax’ Hit of Hoonah, Alaska, and Kaagwaantaan yadi and Kaagwaantaan dachxan.


Irene's parents Grandpa Juan and Grandma Mary pick apples with the smiling Jack Henke at 10 years old - circa 1960 - (photo courtesy Irene's family album)

Irene’s mother was Mary Wilson Brown Sarabia whose Tlingit name was Lxeis’.  Mary’s first husband was Paul Brown, a Kaagwaantaan and song composer.  Irene’s maternal grandmother was Jennie Edna White Wilson McClancey whose first husband was Bill Wilson, Kaagwaantaan, and second husband, Peter McClancey.  Her maternal great-grandmother was Mary Phillips.

Irene's father Juan Sarabia - 1976

Irene’s father Juan Sarabia was a member of the Visayan tribe from Aklan province of the Philippines (PI), northwest portion of the Panay Islands in the Western Visayas Islands.  Juan left PI and signed up with the U.S. Army in Hawaii in 1918.  He traveled up the Pacific Coast to Alaska where he jumped ship with another soldier for a short time period.  He was adopted into the Kaagwaantaan by Harry Marvin and given the name Deixyaanteen.

Irene’s husband William Boyd “Bill” Lampe was Bikolano from the southeastern peninsula of Luzon Island, the island where Manila is located.  He was adopted into the Kaagwaantaan by Willis Peters and given the name Chaalk’ Tlein (Big Eagle).  Irene affectionately nicknamed him “Lano” and in recent years, “Dudley.”  Bill gave Irene the nickname “Bip.”

Bill saw Irene for the first time when she traveled to Seattle on the Princeton Hall sometime during the school year of 1947-48.  She was a member of the Sheldon Jackson high school choir and they traveled for 3 weeks to perform in Seattle.  Bill loudly said to her, “I’m going to marry you one day!”  Later he met Irene again while working at Excursion Inlet cannery.  Bill and Irene married on August 20, 1955.

William and Irene - Christmas in Seattle at his mother's house - Christmas 1955 (photo courtesy family photo album)

Irene grew up in Hoonah and Excursion Inlet.  In 1935, she was enrolled in 1st grade at age 10 because her mother witnessed the negative effects of a western education system towards her older daughters.  Her mother tried to shield her from the harsh treatment received by her older sisters.  Irene barely knew any English at the time and was punished by school authorities for speaking the Tlingit language.  She quickly learned the English language and continued to study it into the 1960s.

William and Irene stand in front of the The Excursion Inlet Packing Company cabin where we spent summers (50s & 60s) while she worked in the fish cannery and he was a fisherman - 2007

She enjoyed playing sports and was a member of the Hoonah Braves volleyball and basketball teams.  During the summer months, she lived in Excursion Inlet and went to fish camps in Glacier Bay, Dundas Bay and Icy Strait to preserve food for winter.  She fondly remembered gathering seagull eggs at Marble Island in Glacier Bay.

In 1941, Irene and her parents spent a year in Juneau.  They rented a house at the bottom of Carrol Way and South Franklin Street.  Irene had to walk to a bus stop where Fireweed Place is currently located to catch the bus across the Douglas Bridge to attend the government elementary school in Douglas, now the Douglas Montessori School.

In 1948 she was the valedictorian of her graduation class at Sheldon Jackson High School.  She sang in the high school choir.  She graduated with her close friend Katherine Wanamaker Goade.  Just after graduation, Irene had enough money to travel to Seattle with some classmates.  She wanted to attend Griffin Business College but her mother begged her to come home after being away from home for four years.  Irene cashed in her ticket and returned to Hoonah.

Irene's long-time friends Katharine Goade (left) and Rachel Carpenter (right) - Celebration 1998

Besides babysitting for relatives and employed as a cannery worker for Excursion Inlet Packing Co., Irene’s first job after high school was as a waitress at the Alaskan Lunch Box, now the Alaskan Bar.  She was also a housekeeper at the government BIA hospital near the present location of Federal Building and at St. Ann’s Hospital.

In the 1960s while working a full time job during the day, she attended Juneau Community College in the evening for about 5 winters where she enrolled in bookkeeping, shorthand, dictation, transcription, English, and typing classes.  She was one of a handful of Tlingit women who were hired by the State of Alaska.  She worked approximately 16 years for the State as a file clerk with Fish & Game, a clerk with Health & Social Services, promoted to an accounting clerk with Labor, and transferred to another accounting clerk position with Revenue Treasury Division.  She quit State employment to work for Tlingit Haida Central Council for approximately 15 years.  When she began work for T&H, there were only 2 employees – her and Ray Paddock, the president.  She always said he was the nicest man anyone could work for.

Irene taking communion at St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church - 2008

Irene attended the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Hoonah and Juneau following her ancestors.  She believed in the Church because the Tlingit language was used in the services.  She knew all the songs in Tlingit.  A parish group photo was taken at the church on May 4, 1929 when she was 4 years old.  She wore a hat in the photo and continued to wear hats throughout her life.

St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church - 1929 - Irene is sitting under the icon - the littlest one on the right wearing the hat - (photo courtesy Fr. Simeon)

Irene’s belief in the afterlife was heightened when she had a near death out of body experience in the late 1950s.  She lay unconscious in a hospital room and recalled looking down at herself from above.  When she woke up, she asked the attending nurse if there was a piece of crushed paper in the trash can next to her bed.  The nurse said, “why yes, they haven’t cleaned the room yet.”  Irene said the nurse then looked perplexed and asked, “how could you know?”

Irene was a fluent speaker of the Tlingit language.  She enjoyed conversing in Tlingit with other speakers and young people just beginning to learn.  She especially like to listen to elders such as Andrew Johnnie and Clarence Jackson for their excellent speaking skills and storytelling.  She would literally gasp with excitement at their speaking ability.

Grandma Mary Wilson Sarabia sewing moccasin tops - 1972

Irene learned the art of bead work from her mother.  Her first lesson was to thread all needles for her mother who was an excellent bead worker.  She beaded many moccasin tops for her mother which helped to provide a source of income for her mother and family.  Irene spent many hours every day devoted to bead work especially during her retirement years.  She made several Takdeintaan beaded crests and octopus bags and handed them out to family members.  When she was no longer able to thread needles, granddaughter Lily thread the needles for her.

Portrait during Celebration 1994 - (photo courtesy Wilhelm Photography)

Irene dancing at Celebration 2000, with friends Lillian Austin (left) and Marlene Sternberg (right)

Irene with lifelong friend, Pedro Barrill - Grand Entrance Parade - Celebration 2000

Irene loved Tlingit dancing and singing.  She was a member of Yun Shuka dance group in the 1980s and danced with the Mt. Fairweather group on several occasions.  She participated in every Celebration since the very first one in 1982 and except 2010.   She was always excited about the Grand Entrance parade.

Irene in pink dress (hand-sewn by Clarissa) for New Year's Eve - 1988

Irene and Bill also loved to dress up in their finest to go out dancing at the Dreamland, Occidental Bar, and the Baranof Latchstring.  They celebrated all the holidays by going out to dance.  They especially liked dressing up in costume on Halloween.

Irene was washing dishes; Dad pulled her out "onto the dance floor" in the livingroom - (notice the rubber gloves) - 1999

Irene crocheted many blankets and gave to family members.  She also gave away stacks of them at each of her sister’s memorial potlatches.  She taught Bill to crotchet when he had a heart attack and stayed home more often in the evenings instead of going to bingo.  He was so proud of his work.

One of Irene's first afghan's - 1980 - (A gift on the occasion of granddaugther Lily's birth)

Irene liked to walk and pick berries with her best friend Lillian Austin.  Irene would walk from her house in Lemon Creek to Lillian’s house in Switzer Creek and together they would walk to Fred Meyer and back.  They often picked berries at North Douglas.  On several occasions they saw black bears walk right by them.  Irene would be afraid to say anything to Lillian but when the bear departed, Irene would quietly say to Lillian, “Let’s go now” so as not to scare her.

Irene and Bill loved to travel to Hawaii, and to visit relatives and friends in Washington.  Almost every other year, Bill got the driving bug.  They drove to Anchorage to visit her niece and her husband Edna and Sam Lamebull, and to visit her brother Robert Sarabia in Seward.  Irene’s sisters Katherine Mills and Sue Belarde joined Irene and Bill on a couple of road trips north.

William, son Timothy, and Irene Lampe - Hawaii - 1996

Irene was well known for her sense of humor, she liked to make people laugh!  Often she would say or do something so hilarious in public that Bill would feel embarrassed and walk away from her.  She collected and distributed photocopies of jokes and cartoons to friends and co-workers that would be considered “harassment” by today’s standards.  Many former co-workers, especially at T&H, said they enjoyed working with her because of her sense of humor.

Irene pulls out her file folder of jokes she collected for many years - 1999 - (photo courtesy Dee Lampe)

Irene loved going to the movies to see comedies and scary movies.  She was always laughed the loudest in a theatre.  She loved to watch scary movies with Bill every Friday night.  The more gruesome the movie, the better.

In her youth, Irene was always ready to participate in pie and watermelon eating contests.  She said once her entire face was covered with blueberries.  It’s no wonder she had a healthy appetite for such a little lady in her later years.

Irene was close to her brother Edward Sarabia, Sr.  Photos of their youth indicate a sense of humor and as they got older, there was always laughter between them.

Irene lived up to her name Latseenk’i Tlaa (meaning strong little mother) in mind/body/spirit.  In the face of adversity, discrimination, hardships, she overcame obstacles to provide a better life for her family all along maintaining that sense of humor and laughter.  Irene sometimes made up her own words and instead of goodbye, she said “Boombie” which were her last words to her children.  She will forever live on in the hearts of all those who knew and loved her.

Irene doesn't wave "good-bye" - she waves "Boombie!" - June 2011

Irene was preceded in death by her husband; parents; son Robert Allen Lampe, brothers, Edward T. Sarabia, Sr. and Robert “Bobby” Sarabia; sisters and their spouses, Katherine and Gilbert Mills, and Sue and Eladio Belarde; nephews, Gilbert “Butch” Mills and Patrick Mills; nieces, Barbara Sarabia Casey and Phyllis Mills Bean; aunts, Susie Wilson Davis and Kitty Lawrence; uncles, Mike Wilson, Alex “Shorty” Wilson, and Frank Wilson; extended family members, Sophie Davis Hanke, Leonard Davis, Fred Hanke, Jr., Joe Moses, Mary Lawson Jones, Gertrude L. White, and Moses Alex John.  She was also preceded by three cats, Midnight, Kiki, and Kobe.

She is survived by her children, Richard Lampe, Clarissa Rizal, Tim Lampe, Irene Jean Lampe, Deanna Lampe; grandchildren, Amber and Brooke Lampe, Kahlil Hudson, Lily Hope, Ursala Hudson; great-grandchildren, Elizabeth Hope, Violet Hudson, and Amelie Haas; daughter-in-law Sarah Lampe; sister-in-law Helen Sarabia and family; Takdeintaan Mills and Belarde families; extended families of the Takdeintaan Head House; many friends, and her husband’s cat Bingo.

Frank Lee
Norman Sarabia
Kahlil Hudson
Ishmael Hope
Thomas Mills, Jr.
Aengus Saya

Honorary Pallbearers
Charles Jack
Thomas Jack
James Jack
Earnest Jack
David Katzeek
Ralph Knudson
Sam Lamebull
Harold Martin
Alfred McKinley, Sr.
Edwin Mercer, Jr.
Mickey Pico
Frank White
Ray Wilson
Guy Benningfield, Sr.

Lillian Austin
Bea Brown
Rachel Carpenter
Lillian “Ginger” Collier
Katherine Goade
Annette Hanke
Flora Huntington
Violet James
Jessie Johnnie
Anna Katzeek
Jennie Lindoff
Cecelia Unik
Lily White

Memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 12 at Tlingit and Haida Community Building, 3625 Hospital Drive in Juneau. Cards may be sent to Deanna Lampe, 350 Irwin St. #411, Juneau, AK 99801.

Thank you to all who helped make the memorial possible.  Thank you to Donald Gregroy, our Chief Chef. Thank you to Tony Tengs of The Chilkat Cone for his donation of Chilkat cones for the memorial reception dessert.   Thank you to several of my lifelong friends who helped serve the food, including:  Charito Reid, Margaret Ramos Ashe, Lis Saya, Kelly Burnett, and Rhonda Mann.

Gunalcheesh, ho ho!

I have posted a previous blog entry last week “An Eternal Friendship With My Mamma” with more photographs and memoirs in honor of our mother, Irene Loling Sarabia Lampe.

NEA National Fellowship Awardees on You Tube

Here’s the link to watch the nine 2016 NEA Fellowship Awardees perform/present their work on YouTube:

It’s about 2 hours long.  With my entourage, Darlene See, Donna Beaver, Irene Lampe and I are on at about 1:40 in the link (though I have watched the entire video clip)!

My Father’s Day


Asiatic lilies and 5 red roses grace the headstone of my parent’s graves; William and Irene Lampe — June 2016

A few weeks before my father passed in December 2008, he requested that when I visit his grave, I put 5 red roses in the vase.  I asked why?  He told me:  “In WWII, 4 of my childhood friends were blown up in a tank; we all grew up together, we were best of friends.  I would have been amongst them in that tank had I passed the qualifications of joining the army; I was 1/2 inch too short…”

For Father’s Day this year, I placed 5 red roses to his grave.  In honor of my Mother, I added the fragrant, Asiatic Lily.

Alone in the afternoon misty rain, I stood wondering if I had ever visited graves alone before:  No.


The headstone of my maternal grandparent’s: Juan and Mary Sarabia — June 2016


Chilkat Prayer

Using small, self-igniting charcoal burns the natural resins

Small, self-igniting charcoal burns the natural resins on a ceramic plate upon an abalone shell — Bentwood boxes were a gift from Sister Dee

My weaving teacher and mentor, the late Jennie Thlunaut recommended that Chilkat weavers pray every morning before they go to their loom.  She said real prayer is always about “giving thanks for what we got.”  She said give thanks for everything you have in your life, and the gift that was given to you, you were chosen to receive this gift…”(she was referring to the art of Chilkat weaving).  I still listen to her words. Every day before I weave, I always say the Lord’s Prayer.  (It doesn’t matter what belief you have, as long as you give thanks, you invoke the spirit of goodness to be with you and those around you.)  In the past few years I developed a method in which I can focus on giving thanks, a ritual that I learned from growing up in the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church.

Almost every day since my mother’s passing on July 4, 2011, I have burned Russian Orthodox Church resins as part of my morning ritual before I begin my work.  And while I walk about my studio home with the incense burning with the gentle fanning by an Eagle feather, I say the Lord’s Prayer with the addition of my own words of gratitude.  The calmness and peace I feel when I complete this ritual invokes a blessing to begin my day.

The then priest of the St. Nicholas Church in Juneau presided over my mother’s memorial service.  It was one of the last services he had conducted before he relocated to Denver, Colorado.  (He gifted me several bags of incense that I recently used up.)  He was the last priest of the church.  If I am not mistaken, the church is no longer used for services, though I believe the church is open during tourist season.  The church was built in 1895 at the request of the Tlingit people living in Juneau.  Our mother was one of the last active members of the church until her passing.

My favorite incense to burn is the Russian Amber and the Russian Rose, along with other local resins, the dried sap collected from the Pinon tree of the Southwest and the Spruce resin of Southeast Alaska.


William and Irene Lampe model the Eagle and Raven robes by Clarissa Rizal, now displayed in the Alaska Native Brotherhood (ANB) Hall in Juneau, Alaska – Christmas 1988

Today would have been the 60th wedding anniversary of my parents; I salute them with a prayer of gratitude…



2nd Year at Adaka’s Fashion Show

Clarissa Rizal models her 7-piece dance ensemble created by 4 generations of women in her family

Clarissa Rizal models her 7-piece dance ensemble created by 4 generations of women in her family:  Clarissa’s Grandmother Mary Sarabia made the tunic for great uncle Leonard Davis, button robe designed by Clarissa and beaded by mother Irene Loling Sarabia Lampe, button work by daughter Lily Hope. (Photo by Minnie Clark)

This evening, the Adaka Festival sponsored the 2nd biennial Da Ze Tsan Fashion Show featuring traditional and contemporary designs from First Nations designers and artists, including a special sealskin collection from Nunavut, performances by Andrameda Hunter, Nyla Carpentier, and special guests.  I was asked to be one of the special guests to show the following ensembles:


Mariella Wentzell models Clarissa Rizal’s latest 5-piece Chilkat woven ensemble “Chilkat Child” which includes the headdress, robe, apron and leggings (photo by Minnie Clark, Yukon News)

At $20/ticket (Elders and youth $10/ticket), I was totally surprised to hear that the tickets were sold out the first day of Adaka a week ago, and the standing room audience proved it so! — Fabulous traditional and contemporary works walked this runway.  I did not include any photos here for several reasons:  I was back stage during the event so I did not take any photos.  These photos of my ensembles  were borrowed from Minnie Clark, Photographer. And if you want to see photographs of the rest of the fashion show, then be-friend Minnie Clark on Facebook.

Megan Jensen

Megan Jensen models Clarissa Rizal’s three-piece leather ensemble made for her mother Irene Lampe by beadworker Kate Boyan in 1981 — Clarissa inherited the ensemble with her mother’s passing in 2011 (Photo by Minnie Clark)


Wayne Price models the “Egyptian Thunderbird” button blanket robe designed and sewn by Clarissa Rizal – though you cannot see the design in this photo image, you can check out the robe at the Haa Shagoon Gallery in downtown Juneau, or you may see it during one of the Native American art markets in Santa Fe, New Mexico (August), the Lawrence, Kansas (September) or Tulsa, Oklahoma (October), or Los Angeles (November – check out my “Calendar” website page for details (Photo by Minnie Clark)


Lifelong Sewing Basket

My 50-year-old antique sewing basket was given to me for my 9th birthday from my Mother, Irene Lampe

My 50-year-old antique sewing basket was given to me for my 9th birthday from my Mother, Irene Lampe

This little sewing basket has sentimental value to my life as a designer and maker of button robes, a costume designer for theatre and a seamstress who sewed all my own clothing for myself, family and friends for many years,… and now my grandchildren.

Today is our mother’s birthday.  She would have been 90 years old.  I don’t know if she remembers giving me this gift for my 9th birthday and I have used this little treasure box for 50 years and will most likely continue to do so until my own passing.  I don’t know if she ever saw this basket at my sewing table; though, for some reason it would be nice for her to know that I have used this little treasure box and have never replaced it with anything else.

Back in March I was online searching for small sewing baskets for each of my oldest grand-daughters and to my delight, I came across some of these baskets for sale — though none of them had the plastic tray!  If any of my readers happen to come across these baskets (that include the plastic tray), I would appreciate it if you would please contact me!

Thank you Mom, for your thoughtfulness.  I have always appreciated your support.

Clarissa Rizal Announces Her New Website!

Northwest Coast Tlingit graduation cap designed by Clarissa Rizal painted and modeled by Ursala Hudson --  2014

Northwest Coast Tlingit graduation cap designed by Clarissa Rizal painted and modeled by Ursala Hudson at her BA graduation — 2014

I have a new website with a few new tweaks to my blog, just launched last week on April 13th; I HAVE GRADUATED to a simpler, cleaner, and easy-to-navigate format to update:  It’s time to celebrate!  (Most artists that I know would rather spend their time creating instead of working on the computer, so the easier and faster computer time, the better for us all…!)

This is my fourth website since 1998; the first was created by my friend Cecil Touchon ( nearly 20 years ago when there were not very many Native American artists’ websites.

I have been blogging since July 2010, nearly 5 years!  Unlike the past blog entries randomly posted when I could fit in the work, I will post new blog entries 3/x weekly with this schedule:

  • on Mondays and Thursdays and Saturdays by 12 midnight (Alaska, Pacific or Mountain time — all depends on where my business travel takes me!).

Blog posts will include the usual latest projects, art business travel, tools of the trade, people, classes, health topics, etc., though to continue helping out my fellow weavers in a more efficient manner, I have added a new section to my categories (column on the right) called “Tricks-of-the-Trade.”

All photographs on my website and blog were shot by myself unless otherwise noted.

  • For over 20 years, most of the photographs of my button robes and my chilkat weavings were taken by professional photographer Jeff Laydon at
  • I make an effort to give credit to any other  photographers.
  • Thank you to my ceremonial robe models the late Russ Eagle and my grand-daughter Amelie Haas.
  • My friend Russ had been modeling for me for nearly 15 years until his passing in 2009.
  • Five-year-old Amelie had her debut this past March modelling my “Chilkat Child” 5-piece weaving ensemble.

I have begun formatting my photographs larger; people want to SEE!

  • I also will aim towards shooting more interesting shots, maybe at different angles
  • maybe I’ll even tweak them too, because I CAN!
  • Click photos on my website to enlarge; the blog photos are what they are
  • Ursala says I ought to buy myself a SLR camera to produce better photos, though at this time I cannot afford spending $500-$1000.
  • Blogs and websites are much more interesting with better photography and golly, shooting from my old iPhone I guess just doesn’t tickle anybody’s fancy does it!
  • Hold on, dear readers, the money for a real camera will come some day!

As time permits, I will be adding one more topic to my website:  a “Tributes” page to honor  mainly Tlingit elders who have helped me on my path as a full-time Tlingit artist for nearly 40 years.  My “Tributes” page will include those of have passed including:

  • grandparents, Juan and Mary Sarabia
  • parents William and Irene Lampe
  • very first mentor/teacher Tlingit chief from Yakutat, Harry K. Bremner, Sr. who gave me my very first sewing lessons along with Tlingit song and dance instruction, and
  • mentor/teacher of Chilkat weaving, Jennie Thlunaut
  • my apprenticeship with Jennie Thlunaut

Thank you to my daughter, Ursala Hudson for working hard last weekend to create and launch  my website by my deadline!  Check Ursala’s graphic design/web design work on her website at:

Honoring Our Mothers Today and Always

Clarissa’s mother Irene Loling Sarabia Lampe berry-picking at SueAnn’s home – My mother protected herself from the blood-sucking mosquitos; she wore two layers of clothing, fingerless gloves (before you could buy them in the store) AND a shower cap! — August 2001

One of the most favorite things to be and do with my mother was berry picking…We picked berries almost every August since I can remember filling up our freezers and jars until she was 80 (just 4 years after this photo was taken).  2005 was the last year we picked together; she decided that it was risky to be romping around in the forest even though she was very careful.  She was avoiding breaking a leg or worse yet, breaking a hip which she warned us to never do since at that age will be the downfall of one’s health.

For the past three years, Mother’s Day has been a day of both sorrow and joy.  Like any of us whose mother’s are one of our best friends for life, I miss her so I have my moments of sorrow; yet, at the same time, I am a mother to three great kids!  After our mother’s passing on July 4, 2011, I wrote a blog entry about my Mother; you may read and see more photos of her at:

I invite you to also read her obituary with historical photos at:  These photos include images of my Grandmother and Grandfather Mary and Juan Sarabia, childhood, etc.

Top: Clarissa’s parents William and Irene Lampe with first grandchild, 18-month-old son, Kahlil on father’s boat the “Clarissa Rizal”, Excursion Inlet, Alaska – July 1978 — Middle photos of Clarissa’s children: Kahlil, 5 yrs old; Lily, two yrs old; Ursala, one yrs old — Bottom photo: Clarissa, 2nd grade school photo

I am fortunate to be the mother of three fine kids; and my children are now parents!

Clarissa and her children Ursala, Lily and Kahlil in front of “Jennie Weaves An Apprentice” Chilkat robe – July 2011

I am blessed with four wonderful grandchildren with two more “waiting in the eaves” to be born this July and October!

Just got out of the movie theatre….Clarissa’s four grandchildren L to R: Elizabeth Hope and her brother, Louis, Violet Hudson and Amelie Haas — they make up the three clans of H’s: Hope, Hudson and Haas!

I have known for a very long time that I am one of the most wealthiest women I know.  My definition of  wealth is defined by my family, who we are, where we come from, who we be and what we do.  I wish you a very a Happy Mother’s Day,…today and always!

Healing Pneumonia: With Antibiotics or Naturally?

Make a Castor oil pack with: Castor oil, flannel fabric, & Pure Herbs “5 Oils” – saturate cloth with castor oil mixed with about 4 drops of the “5 Oils”, place on chest, put a piece of plastic between the pack and your clothing; let sit on chest while resting, napping or at bedtime

With a relentless cough that was into it’s third week, I suspected that I may have had Bronchitis, but when the doctor said I had Pneumonia, it was hard to believe!… (Me, Clarissa Rizal has pneumonia!?  How is that possible!?)  He prescribed antibiotics of course and when I asked him what the side effects were, he hesitated for a moment and replied:  “…nausea, vomiting, headaches, intestinal disorder…” to which I said to myself, “okay, no problem, I can take supplements that would counterbalance those disorders.” —-  Ha!  After reading the clinic’s handout on the side effects of the antibiotic for Pneumonia; NOT!

One of the best remedies when catching the flu virus symptoms or any time you have any flu-like symptoms: the homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum — most health food stores carry them — and even Fred Meyers has it!

I was about to take the antibiotic, when I decided to read the four-page document on the antibiotic BEFORE!  Good thing I did; it was quite the eye-opener and educational experience.   This is what I discovered: 

My cough began during the 2nd week of the flu (mid-January); up until two days ago I had been taking cough drops and cough medicines to get rid of the cough to no avail – after three weeks of coughing, the intensity peaked over a week ago.  So this being said, a pneumonia that sets in during the course of the flu virus is a viral pneumonia as opposed to the bacterial pneumonia.  I have the viral pneumonia.  Hello!?!?!

The Levofloxacin antibotic prescribed to me would not help rid me of the virus because (according to the clinic’s handout they gave me):   “…an antibiotic is for a bacterial infection, not a viral infection.  Pneumonia caused by the flu virus may be treated with an antiviral medicine and most other viral infections must run their course – viral infections will not respond to antibiotics.”

These herbs were recommended for my personal immune system support – from Pure Herbs, Ltd.  A half dropper-full of each in 4 oz of water once/day first thing in morning, though because of the acute condition of Pneumonia, I added another dose just before bedtime.  Click here for Pure Herbs website

Okay, we got that straight:  the antibiotics the doc prescribed me will not work because I have the viral pneumonia as opposed to the bacteria pneumonia.  So back to the side effects the doc mentioned.  Well…according to the three-page hand-out the clinic provided for me about the antibiotic, here is the comprehensive list of the ADDITIONAL, real side effects, and mind you I quote this info right off their hand-out sheet:

These herbs were recommended for me to strengthen my heart, brain and immune system – A half dropper-full of each in 4 oz of water once/day first thing in morning, though because of the acute condition of Pneumonia, I added another dose just before bedtime

“Levoflaxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, can cause serious side effects.  Some of these serious side effects could result in death.  If you have any of the following serious side effects while you take Levofloxacin, get medical help right away…”

“If you have any of the following symptoms of a severe allergic reaction:

  • hives
  • trouble breathing or swallowing
  • swelling of the lips, tongue, face
  • throat tightness, hoarseness
  • rapid heartbeat
  • faint
  • skin rash”

Now hold on, this list is just the beginning,….there’s a whole lot more….

Natural antibiotics and immune support: Mullein and Goldenseal tinctures, Echinacea capsules and Elderberry syrup – A half dropper-full of the two tinctures in 4 oz of water once/day first thing in morning, directly before lunch and because of the acute condition of Pneumonia, I added another dose just before bedtime – One capsule of the Echinacea taken at the same time, and directly afterwards a teaspoon of the Elderberry Syrup — NOTE:  Golden Seal and Echinacea should only be taken for brief episodes of not more than a week on Golden Seal and not more than two weeks on Echinacea.  If you anything different, then follow that rule.

“Other severe responses include:

  1. Tendon rupture or swelling of the the tendon (tendinitis)
  2. Worsening of myasthenia gravis ( a problem that causes muscle weakness)
  3. Liver damage damage (hepatotoxicity)
  4. Central Nervous System Effects (Seizures, hear voices, hallucinations, paranoia, suicidal, headache with blurred vision)
  5. Intestine infection (Pseudomembranous colitis)
  6. Changes in sensation and possible nerve damage (Peripheral Neuropathy) – The nerve damage may be permanent in arms, hands, legs or feet
  7. Serious heart rhythm changes (QT prolongation and torsades de pointes)…may cause an abnormal heartbeat and can be very dangerous.
  8. Joint Problems
  9. Changes in Blood sugar
  10. Sensitivity to Light”

Do you think I want to take any chances in attracting any or all of these (possibly permanent) conditions?  Heck no!  (Pardon my French!)

ceramic Netipot and Netipot salt – The cleansing of the sinuses via the Netipot is an East Indian tradition.  During the period I had my Pneumonia, I also had a sinus infection which also affected my ears (a normal connection).  I performed the cleansing of my sinuses twice daily first thing in the morning and because of the acute condition of Pneumonia, I added another Netipot session directly after dinner


  1. I was diagnosed with pneumonia; good, now I can remedy the situation accordingly

So with the assistance of my kids and a couple of my friends, who had researched healing Pneumonia naturally, I compiled a few remedies and my rigorous regime that I share with you here in these photos.  Remember, this is the regime I created for myself.  You can copy exactly what I did, or you can modify to your desire; it’s up to you.  Use your intuition and common sense.  Keep tabs on your recovery.  Little by little, depending on your recovery time, you will decide which remedy you will decrease and/or cease.

In the olden days way before the use of pharmaceuticals, we knew how to remedy ourselves of illnesses.  Some day we are going to go back to those ways.  It’s always good to know a little bit about natural ways of healing for the preservation of this knowledge for future generations.

OH, and one more thing:  Did you know pneumonia is highly contagious?  Be mindful; be full of care.

Supplements: 1000mg vitamin C, L-lysine, Probiotics, Vitamin B Food Complex taken during meals.   The Vitamin C and Vitamin B Food Complex I’ve taken once a day for many years.  I take L-Lysine whenever I think cankersores or a cold sore is about to spring up on my lip, and the Probiotic I have taken once in a blue moon if I’ve got intestinal stuff going on —-  In this acute case of Pneumonia, I upped the daily dosages to:  5 capsules of 1000mg of Vitamin C (or “bowel tolerance” amount),  2 L-Lysine, 6 capsules of Probiotics, and the regular dose of 1 Vitamin B tablet.

The first day of this regime was quite the day.  I spent four consecutive hours doing nothing else but taking remedies, making and eating meals, resting with the castor oil pack, making and drinking the concoctions and cooking and eating the potassium broth; then, I did the main part of the cycle all over twice again, once in the afternoon and once again at night — this rigorous regime took a total of 12 hours!  hello!  By the time 10pm rolled around, I was whooped!  So I devised a method to be more efficient…

A roomy pillbox to be used as a 7-day container OR to hold your variety of supplements —

Organization is the name of my game to be keep my efficiency strong because I am a very goal-oriented person; my daily activities and projects are numerous (even though I don’t get anything done when I am not well, BUT my mind is still racing with what I WANT to get done! haha!)

I devised a couple of methods to keep track of my efforts to heal self AND to be more efficient so I had time to rest!  I used two tools:  above is the pillbox with the specific number of daily supplements I took, and below is a chart that I referred to many times to keep me on track.

To assist you in keeping track of what remedy you took when, create a chart. — With more than 20 remedies to take either before, during or after meals, this was the only way I could remember! (and besides that, like I said, I like being organized!) — I labeled the days of the week on the left of the columns and the name of the remedy at the top with the amounts per day (as shown)…this chart is one half of two pages of remedies!

What is your diet?  With any type of respiratory ailment, and at least while you are healing your self, stay away from mucous-causing foods such as all dairy products:  All!  There are no exceptions. No corn.   And for those of you who have a difficult time eliminating sugar and wheat, just remember, the length of time is only during the time you are trying to heal.  Once you are well and feeling 100% better, go ahead and get back to your “normal” diet.

Baked Garlic — Yum!!! Directly after the doctor’s diagnosis, I baked a week’s worth of garlic — meaning: I ate one entire bulb of garlic per day in one sitting! That’s equal to 15-20 cloves of garlic. If you have a weak stomach, maybe 3 or 4 cloves from the bulb would be safe for you; intake all depends on you and your body.  Warning:  You will smell like roasted garlic, but hey, do you want to heal yourself naturally or suffer!? — To Bake Garlic:  Place whatever number of garlic bulbs you want to cook on a cookie sheet and place in preheated 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes.  It’s that simple! —  Immediately after I ate that first bulb of garlic, my grogginess and headache disappeared! Wow, now THAT is a remedy!!!

The following are invigorating, healthy, supportive, non-invasive, no-side-effect-drinks that will help revive your spirit, mind and body.  Drink at least once cup per day.

Boil about 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger in 2 qts. water for about 15 minutes, strain and drink a cup once a day – can add honey but I prefer the enjoyment of its strong, simple taste (must be the Asian in me!) — great for circulation and warmth

I forgot to photograph my “potassium broth” before I finished it off last night (oh well, it looks like chicken stew without the chicken!).    Potassium helps heal the lining of your lungs.  If you have any heart conditions, do not take this broth!   The potassium broth can be juiced raw or you may steam the veggies and eat the entire “soup.”  Here’s the recipe for one serving of raw, juiced broth:

* 4 cloves garlic * 2 radishes * 2 big carrots * 2 stalks celery * a couple of pinches of parsley * water

I didn’t want mine raw.  Luckily we have the option to steam a version and create a potassium soup using a lot more than the ingredients above.  My recipe was something like this:

1 bulb baked garlic, peeled and chopped, then  wash and chop the following:  *8 carrots * 6 stalks celery * 2 zuchinni * 1 bunch radishes  — place all in pot and cook in 3 quarts of water — after veggies are soft, then add a big handful of chopped parsley —- chow down as much as you can stand; it’s a wonderful soup to aid lousy-feeling lungs!  This pot was enough for 4 large servings!  I had one serving per day for 4 days!

1 TBSP Bragg’s organic Apple Cider Vinegar in 8 oz. glass water two to three times per day before, during or after meals – helps detoxify system as you strengthen and maintain your immune system — I cannot say enough about this all-time remedy maintain the general health of an individual, animal or human!

You will figure out your own regime depending upon what remedies you decide to take.  Like I said, I did this entire regime.  The first day, I didn’t know what the heck I was doing so I didn’t have the “schedule” down pat.  After the first couple of days, I figured out a more efficient method based on what I had to take, before, during, or after meals.  Here’s my schedule broken up into morning, noon and night:

MORNING upon rising in this order:  * heat water for lemon water drink * brush teeth * drink 1 glass water * drink 1st set of herbs in 4 ozs. water * netipot (allows first herbs to pass through system 15  minutes, before taking second set) * drink 2nd set of herbs in 4 ozs. water * place two drops of “5 Oils” onto back of neck  * wash up/get dressed  * drink 2nd glass water  * take Echinacea/goldenseal/mullein tinctures in 4 ozs. water followed with 1 tsp. Elderberry syrup * make breakfast and eat *  make lemon/honey drink and take supplements of Vitamin B, Vit C, Probiotics and Biosil directly after breakfast  *  brush teeth * drink 3rd glass water * fill humidifier, place on high or low

Drink two 8 oz servings, one in late morning and late afternoon of this wonderful, soothing, zesty concoction to ease sore throat & up your Vitamin C intake: Pour hot boiled water in a mixture of 1/2 Lemon juiced into mug, add 1 to 2 tsp. Honey — Stir and enjoy!

AFTERNOON in this order* drink 4th glass water  * take Echinacea/goldenseal/mullein tinctures in 4 ozs. water followed with Elderberry syrup * netipot (allows herbs to pass through system 15  minutes, before eating)  * make lunch and eat * Eat one bulb of garlic (15-20 cloves in one bulb) *  make lemon/honey drink and take supplements of Vit C, Probiotics and Biosil directly after lunch  *  brush teeth * drink ginger drink * place castor oil pack on chest, lay down and rest

Drink at least 6 to 8 cups of pure, clean water per day – Yes, that’s on top of all the other liquid concoctions during the healing of Pneumonia! — It’s extra special and easier to drink the water if it’s in a hand-blown glass like this one!  If it’s hard for you to drink water, having a special glass helps ease the chore! 

EVENING in this order* drink 6th glass water * drink 1st set of herbs in 4 ozs. water * make dinner * take Echinacea/goldenseal/mullein tinctures in 4 ozs. water followed with 1 tsp. Elderberry syrup * Eat dinner *  make lemon/honey drink and take supplements of Vitamin B, Vit C, Probiotics and Biosil directly after dinner  * netipot (allows first herbs to pass through system 15  minutes, before taking second set) * drink 2nd set of herbs in 4 ozs. water * place two drops of “5 Oils” onto back of neck  * wash up/get dressed for bed  * drink 2nd glass water   * brush teeth * fill humidifier, place on high or low * castor oil pack on chest

During the course of the day, in between meals, you may take extra Vitamin C as much as your bowels can stand (it’s called “bowel tolerance”- like how much Vitamin C can your body stand before your stools become diarrhea?  As soon as that happens, you know that that is how much vitamin C your body can have, so keep track of your amounts).  Mine can stand 5 capsules of 1000mg of Vitamin C.

You can also include other teas and drinks like “Throat Coat” and “Breathe Easy”, orange juice, apple/cranberry juice, etc.  Remember these drinks do not count as your water intake.  Water is very different than drinks, teas, etc.

A humidifier is a must when healing any respiratory dis-ease!   The moisture will help break up the mucous in your lungs.  I filled this humidifier twice a day, first thing at sunrise and last thing after sunset. If you’d like, you may add a couple drops of eucalyptus or peppermint oil to the water.

Make sure your spittoon is available to you the entire night through.  You want to relieve your body of that mucous.  I have noticed that most of my big coughing spells were at 2 am and 4 am  I also noticed that I coughed more laying down than when I was upright.   I kept my spittoon close at hand all day long too!

If you don’t have a fancy spittoon, create one from a brown paper bag. To keep the bag open, fold the top edge of the bag down. Place in plastic bag. After you’ve discarded your used Kleenex into the spittoon, this creates a buffer barrier to catch any spit and mucous, therefore eliminating the use of Kleenex thereafter. A spittoon accommodates to the amount of mucous your body will be expelling during this healing process.

Rest.  I cannot say this enough.  Rest.  I am not good at this, but maybe you are.  There are only a couple of things that can keep me in bed; reading books is one of them.  I read more books in the past couple of weeks than the past 10 years.  It was all good.

Play soothing classical music like Traichovsky’s “Nutcracker Suite.”

Okay, there you have it!  A natural method of healing Pneumonia!  If you or anyone else you know has Pneumonia, you may try any and/or all these remedies!  I suggest you do research on line for more natural remedies.

I’ve been on this regime for 9 days.  As of this day, February 11th,  I am 90% better.  I am cutting back on the dosages of the herbs, Echinacea, Elderberry, Goldenseal and Mullein.  I am beginning to take only 3 capsules each of Vitamin C and Probiotics.  I have quit doing the Netipot; my sinuses are back to normal.  Though I continue making sure that no matter what I have at least 5 to 6 cups of good water a day!  I plan on continuing an extension of this regime for another week just to make sure I am in the clear.

I am a testament to healing my body naturally instead of taking the risk of using antibiotics that would not have cured me anyway because like I said, antibiotics work on a bacterial infection not the viral infection that I have.

Today is really my very first full day to work; it’s great to be back!

While detoxing your pneumonia, coughing up balls of mucous is “normal.”   To help keep your teeth, gums and the rest of your digestive track healthy, brush your teeth at least three times a day — who knows what’s in that mucous! — Let’s avoid finding out!

Spiritual folks say that attracting pneumonia is a reflection of the person experiencing deep grief and/or a death wish.  This couldn’t be more true for me.  This past Winter since end of November 2013, I have been grieving the loss of my parents.  Although my father passed 5 years ago this past December and my mother passed 3 years ago this July, in those years I was experiencing a lot of other major losses and adjusting to all the changes all at once.  This past year has been the first year in 7 years that I am just beginning to feel a bit settled down and I guess the grieving of my parents was delayed until this past Winter.

During this bout with Pneumonia, I realized at one point that I was grieving my parents because over the past three months, anytime anyone brought up the subject of their parents (who were still alive), I would cry silently.  I longed to talk to my parents.  I wanted to share the joy of their great-grandchildren (my grandchildren) together.  I wanted to see them having fun with my kids being parents.  I wanted my grand-children to get to know their great-grandparents and be old enough to remember them when they passed.  During my illness, there were many times I cried deeply as I remembered my parents.   Now, as I am closing in on healing myself of this illness that has plagued me intensely for the past three weeks, I know I am almost done with coughing up all the “grief” out of my lungs.  Letting go.

Sigh…We live and learn.

William and Irene Lampe walk the path along Twin Lakes enjoying the daisies – Juneau, Alaska – July 2007 — One day many years ago, before going out the door to walk the dog, Irene grabbed some of William’s packets of daisy seeds –  she spread the seeds along the Twin Lakes path. The daisies grew, spread their seeds and now many years later thanks be to Irene, we have big patches of daisies between the lakes and the old highway!

Good-bye Mom and Dad.  I sure miss you; I sure love you!




“Jennie Weaves An Apprentice” Chilkat Robe Finally Finished

During the Santa Fe Indian Market Sealaska stage, Likoodzi modelled the 4-piece Ravenstail ensemble "Copper Child" (a collaboration of mother and daughter Lily Hope and Clarissa Rizal) and Crystal Rogers modelled "Jennie Weaves An Apprentice" Chilkat robe (hot off the loom) handwoven by Clarissa Rizal

Likoodzi and Crystal smile at a full audience at the Santa Fe Indian Market - August 20-21 - The beaded deerskin dress and hi-top moccasins were made 30 years ago by Kate Waters Boyan for our mother Irene Lampe

Watch the Fashion Show of Northwest Coast Tlingit regalia at Sante Fe Indian Market August 2011 – video courtesy of Lee Cooper


The Chilkat robe pattern board designed by Clarissa Rizal painted on canvas applied to wooden frame - Photo by Lee Cooper

Crystal Worl and Beckie Etukeok assist in putting up the ends in the back of the robe

Close-up of the braid ends in the back of the robe

Crystal Worl and Clarissa put up the ends in the back - photo by Lee Cooper

Clarissa's booth at the Santa Fe Indian Market 2011

St. Frances Cathedral Park the morning after Indian Market - photo by Lee Cooper

Here are three more videos taken by Lee Cooper at the Santa Fe Indian Market 2011:

“Jeanie Weaves an Apprentice” Chilkat robe being taken down from the loom (before completion of putting up the ends in the back) for the Sealaska Heritage Institute’s fashion show of Tlingit regalia 1 <>

Fashion Show of Northwest Coast Tlingit regalia at Sante Fe Indian Market August 2011 <>

The beginning of the flash flood as the completed Chilkat robe is removed from the loom. <>